2.01.2012

My Fairytale Proposal

This morning I was going through some old pictures on my laptop when I found a "hidden" file that had hundreds of old photos from when I was in high school and from when John and I had first started dating. I have always wanted to write a journal of all my favorite moments and experiences that have occurred in my life but I am defiantly not one to sit down and write with a pen in hand. I find it to be much easier to type on a computer than to hand write on a piece of paper. I realized after seeing all my old pictures, it would be a great idea to not only keep a record for myself but to share with everyone all my most memorable experiences so that we can all see what and where I have been.

To start off, today would be a terrific day to tell you our proposal story!

In August of 2009, my husbands family decided to take the entire family on a family vacation to San Diego, California for a week. We were only at the boyfriend/girlfriend status still so I felt a little awkward thinking about going on this trip. Everyone kept insisting I go so I decided, "What the heck! A week on the beach could be great! I could get a better tan and look way cuter in my swimsuit." Little did I know that John was going to propose on this trip. Everyone knew but me!

After being there for a few days, John said that the following morning he was going to take me somewhere special but it was going to be a surprise until we got there. The following morning on August 11, 2009 I woke up around four a.m. to get ready for the day. I couldn't sleep at all that night since I was too excited so I felt like that time in the morning would be a perfect time to get up. After dragging John off the couch to get ready, him and I finally piled in the car at six and hit the high road. We drove for over two hours until we came to the city of Anaheim, California! I instantly knew we were going to Disneyland when he took the Disney exit off of the highway. He knows me so well! My favorite place on earth is Disneyland: I dream Disneyland, I think Disneyland, I even count down the days until my next Disneyland trip!

I could barely sit still while we found a place to park and rode the trolley to the main gate of the park. I was so excited it didn't even cross my mind that he might be popping the question that very day. I noticed that all morning John had been a little quiet but by now he was starting to feel a little clammy and almost completely mute. As we entered the park I knew that would be the perfect place to take our first picture of the day:


As we were walking toward the princess castle, John really started to scare me since he looked as though he was almost going to break out in a sweat. Right in front of the castle we stopped to catch a quick glimpse but I was too eager to wait there too long so I started to head into Fantasyland located directly behind the castle. Just then, John pulled me back and looked at me like he had never before.

He started to say all the things he loved about me and why he falls back in love with me every single day. I couldn't believe it! Was he going to ask me to marry him?! He knelled down on one knee and pulled out a small black, velvet box. He opened it and there sat the most amazing and beautiful ring I had ever seen in my life ( I had no part what-so-ever in picking my ring)! He then asked, "Will you marry me, Sherawn Puhlmann?" Before I even said anything I grabbed the ring and shoved it on my left ring finger and held my hand out so I could get a better look at how gorgeous it was on me. He had to interrupt my gaze (at my ring) to see what my answer would be. Startled, I said, "Oh yah! Of course I will!" I felt as though my world was spinning and I still couldn't believe what had just happened. Apparently, we had started a crowd and everyone was clapping and cheering for us. We each even got to wear a pin that said "Just Engaged". It was the most amazing and unforgettable moment in my life.




The rest of the day was such a blast. I couldn't believe that we were finally engaged. After a year of dating, I thought this day would never come since he had asked my father if he could take my hand in marriage six months earlier. I guess he was waiting for the perfect ring and place to pop the question. I defiantly think it was worth the wait!







Can't you tell how exhausted we
were from having fun all day!
I will never forget that special day in my life. Every time I have returned to Disneyland since then, I always go to that spot where John got down on one knee and think about what a blessing John and his love is to me in my life. Disneyland will always hold a special place in heart and I believe, dreams really do come true!

4 comments:

Amy John said...

CUTEST story:)

Unknown said...

Sure glad you said yes

Sherawn DeWitt said...

Thanks guys!! :)

Corrine Loftus said...

I sure remember seeing that ring when he packed before you guys left! You so were not thrilled about the trip and we kept saying you're going! Ha so many memories of you two dating!